We have used the permissions pro plug in for a couple of years now and worked great.
Couple of recent updates have seemed to change that completely. Have also submitted several support requests with nothing much back so hoping this raises the issue.
We have set up specific permission groups for all our web editors so they only see the pages and documents that are tagged to the categories that they have permissions to see.
Seems a couple of weeks a go with the new updates to the plug in our users can now see all the categories within the website back end despite being in a permission group that should limit them to seeing just their page or document category.
We use the Download Manager Pro plug in for documents so it is download categories and page categories we are using to restrict user access to the pages and downloads they should only have access to.